And the answer is…. Yes AND No!
Confusing right? So basically there are things that you absolutely should avoid after about week 18.
And these are your traditional sit ups and crunches as well as planking.
BUT you definitely should NOT give up core training while pregnant!
In fact this is one of the most important areas to keep strong! Here’s why:
- Strengthen muscles used during labour
- Reduce and prevent lower back pain
- Speed up recovery following birth
- Reduce your risk of abdominal separation (diastasis recti)
- Improve mobility and comfort in later stages of pregnancy
- Improve functionality to look after your new baby
You should be doing core type exercises like these at least 2-3 times a week.
It literally will take you 5-10 minutes and it is so worth it!
Here are my go-to core exercises that are safe to do throughout your whole pregnancy.]Activate pelvic floor and imagine zipping a zipper all the way up to the bottom of your ribs with your abdominals.
Activate pelvic floor and imagine zipping a zipper all the way up to the bottom of your ribs with your abdominals.
Lift opposite arm and leg and focus on keeping pelvis stable. That is, not tilting to one side. Hold for 3-5 seconds and repeat on other side. Repeat for 5 rounds.
Roll out slowly until you feel your core muscles contract. Hold for around 3 seconds before rolling back in.
Repeat 10-12 times.